Tuesday, January 27, 2009

All About Me...


I’m Amy Champion. I wasn’t born a Champion, but I recently married one, and I haven’t gotten over the awesomeness of my new name yet. I was born in Ramona and lived there until I was 10, attending Montessori schools. Then we moved to the city, aka, Escondido. I attended 5-8th grade at LR Green school. After middle school I was excited to go to San Pasqual High School with all my friends, but my parents had other plans. They sent me to The Bishops School, a private high school in La Jolla. I got to wear a uniform and wake up at 5:30 each morning to make it to school on time, and in the beginning I hated it, but by senior year, I loved my school. I especially loved my Art History and English courses, and I was fortunate enough to have some of the most fascinating and intelligent teachers in all of my learning career. From there I went to Chapman University in Orange County for a semester, but hated the school and decided I was too far away from home, so I transferred to CSUSM. I stayed at San Marcos for a year and a half, and then transferred to University of San Diego, because I was in love with their English Lit. program. I graduated from there in decent time, a couple years later I decided to go back to school to get into a nursing program, remembered that I hated science, and went back to working. Now I’m back at Cal State San Marcos, and I’m positive I’m in the right place and I want to be here!


At work I am a Mac person, and I’ve learned to really like them. I’m not that proficient with all the applications and all of the short cuts, but I get my work done on it, and it’s pretty darn fast. At home, I work on a dinosaur of a laptop, that uses Windows XP. My proficiency level on with technology is just ok. I can do everything I need to at work, I’m excellent at surfing the internet, and I can do anything in word, but I only know the most basic things in Excel, Powerpoint, and I wish I knew how to operate Photoshop.


The element of the university mission statement that most speaks to me is life-long learning. The world changes so quickly, and I want to able to keep up with my students and know what is relevant to them. With some students, it can make an impact and teach them a lot to take something old, for example, a Shakespearian tragedy, and make it relevant by explaining it and relating it in language and actions they use in their daily life. To achieve this, I will have to stay current with technology, and even learning from the new fresh teachers coming into the field. CSUSM has an excellent reputation, and seems committed to giving new teachers the knowledge and resources we need to excel at teaching students.

4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your blog! You chose a great template too! This one seems to be a favorite. I think life-long learning is invaluable to keeping up with an ever-changing world. It makes life more interesting, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in San Diego County and always heard about Bishops.. you had to be a smarty-pants to get in there, so, good job! I also knew a person in middle school who went to High School there, I just wish I oculd remember his name.. Nick something..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,
    You have the NAME and the variety of backgrounds that will help you in becoming a teacher. You won't be forgotten and you will always have something to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy,
    I also began taking classes for nurse school until I remembered that I hate science and blood and needles. Your last name is great; unfortunately, my fiance's last name is not so cool; it is Rybicki.

    ReplyDelete